Wednesday, March 07, 2018

Contortionist


I have these wounds.
Here. Let me show you.
Maybe you will
Recognize them.
I got this one when
I was four years old.
My father hurt me.
It has never healed.
It doesn’t matter
What he did
Or what I did
Or whether it was
Deserved.
The edges are ragged
Because I have worried them.
And it does not
Always bleed like this.
It is only bleeding now
Because you’re here
And I am talking about it.
And this other one
My mother gave me.
It is much newer
So the edges are smooth
But it bleeds all the time.
Then there is this burn
It goes deep, deep.
It came from a lover.
It has crusted over
And it only hurts
If I touch it
So I leave it alone.
I may twist myself
Around and the
Tangled contortions
I get myself into
May seem odd
But they keep me
From feeling the pain.
They keep me
From hurting
These old wounds.
And these twists and
Turns, these
Humps and crouches
These tortured poses
Are kind of
Beautiful.
Aren’t they?







No comments: