Saturday, January 20, 2018

Ode to Joel



I know what heartache is
It is pain that begins with loss
Something or someone
Is suddenly absent
Emptiness rushes in to
Take their place
It is like a burning hunger
But deep in your chest

This pain is connected
But also its own thing
Every nerve tells me I have
Found someone I lost
From a time only barely
Remembered, like a dream
And I know I could not
Survive this loss again

Thousands of tiny events
Flutter around like autumn leaves
Your unremitting words
Describing the world or merely
Mumbling in sleep, the dialogue
Apparent though the words are not
And your sudden bursts into song -
Perfectly, miraculously in tune

I have sat for hours, listening
Drinking you in, trying hard
To capture each delicious second
As you sang to me
In the living room, or on stage
Then you sang Undone
And I remembered the pain
That is coming for me

Every song after that
Reminded me you are leaving
And taking the beautiful music
Of your words and your singing
Away from me, back to the island
I used to be content alone but
When you left for just a few hours
The house was painfully quiet

Pain and love are the theme
Even at night, after five years alone
I find myself fifteen years old again
My girlhood magically renewed
I do remember my old lovers
But they are sepia images now
Your brilliance has faded them
Into indistinct shadows

You are a force of nature
And you frighten me a little
Gentle and sweet beyond words
Growling and biting the next moment
Saying unspeakable things
Some crude and rough
Others nakedly romantic

Doing all of it for me, for us

I understand who you are
Having known you so long
Yet, you were a sketch
Now the lines are filled in
The colors fleshed out
And it will hurt me to my core
To take my eyes off this
Beautiful painting










No comments: