Wednesday, November 09, 2005

On Arguing with Dan


Tribal eyes are getting glazed
Amid all of this shoutin’
I offer truths I learnt whilst raised
Nearby where Dan was sproutin’

A row to hoe inside the fence
You work to keep it straight
The to and fro makes you incensed
Berserk, you can’t debate

He finds the points that you don’t know
And tethers down your foot
Now you’re in a fine tableau
He’s free while you stay put

Around you go, inside your head
He circles back to bite your rump
And, apropos of being led
He begs attack and up you jump

You dig a deeper hole each twirl
Around the central terminal
Soon you’ll tunnel through the world
(The tribe, they can confirm it all)

You seem to be the kind who’s pleased
My words to disavow
So . . . when you see the dear Chinese
Tell them I said, “Nihao!”

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very cool......words of wisdom and so well spoken!!
Mom

Doseydotes said...

Actually, if you look more closely, you'll see the terror on my face in that picture; try arguing with Dan when you only know a handful of words.

Anonymous said...

Arguing with Dan is much easier if you just accept that he is crazy. I win all the time.

Doseydotes said...

Wicked Jane was a dreadful scold,
To amend a line from Mr. Gilbert;
She hated War with a hate untold,
She was a pacifistic filbert.
Just one word you had to utter;
She never heard if there was another.

“Teasing Tom was a very bad boy,”
(Pardon my love for a good quotation).
To talk of war was his only joy,
And his single purpose was preparation.
And what both of these children had to say
I never knew, for I ran away.

(with sincere apologies to Franklin P. Adams)